Features on Diversion TV

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

BMX Tuesday: Terry Adams and MIckey Gaidos

Red Bull BMX rider Terry Adams teamed up with film maker (and bmx rider) Mickey Gaidos to create one of the most professional Flatland BMX solo videos in history. Their film, "Dreams," shares the story of Terry Adams' success in his Flatland BMX career . Check out what Terry and Mickey have to say in the interview below.



DTV: What prompted you to make the film "Dreams" and how long did it take you to film it? 

TERRY: The film took exactly one year to make the first version. I wanted to make a DVD/Film that not only showcased my best riding but also let others see how I accomplished my dreams of being a pro rider.

DTV: How was making this full length film different from all the edits that you put out online?

TERRY: The film has a full story with an important message to go with each section. We spent a lot of time on the commentary to make sure my message was very clear to the viewers. Not to mention Mickey put so much effort into filming each riding scene.We wanted to make more than your normal BMX edit. Our goal was to make a movie that your everyday person could relate to in some way. I feel we really accomplished that.


DTV: Which combo took the longest to film? 

TERRY: My last trick of the entire film took the longest. It was my "Adams Bomb to peg wheelie to whopper."

DTV: This question is for Mickey Gaidos... Mickey you shot and edited the film. What cameras did you use to shoot the film? What piece of equipment got you the most stoked when making the film? 

MICKEY: I started out shooting with just my Panasonic DVX100A, but two days into my trip to
Japan (and probably 20% into the film) the Panny broke so I had to beg, borrow, and
steal whatever cameras I could, to finish the film. So by the time the film was finished, I shot with the Panasonic DVX100A, Panasonic HVX200, Canon XL2, Canon XH-A1, Sony Z1U, Sony EX1, Canon HV20, and the RED ONE (plus whatever format was sent to me from past events).
The extended version of Dreams which we recently completed, we added additional
content that I shot on my Canon 5D Mark II.

Basically the film is one big camera test and like a melting pot of different codecs. Haha.
The one piece of gear that I was most excited to use would definitely be the RED ONE
camera. At the time the RED camera had just recently been released and I was
shooting the 1st feature film in New Orleans to be shot with the RED. We were shooting
on a weekend and the Director was cool enough to let me take the camera offsite to
shoot a few scenes for “Dreams” in our off-hours.

I was so stoked to take the camera and get some “one-on-one” time with it, shooting
flatland completely Run-N-Gun style with the RED was such a blast.
With the set of Zeiss lenses I had and the resolution/frame-rate capabilities of the
camera, I felt like any shot I could imagine I could pull off. Oh and the RAW codec is
freakin’ awesome to work with in post, its hard to go back to dealing with shitty, highly
compressed codecs in post... cough, cough, Canon 5D. I take that back the 5D matched
up really well to the RED in the extended cut. haha!


DTV: Do you have any more BMX film projects planned for the future? 

TERRY: I always have something in the works. You just have to wait and see..

MICKEY: Well for right now we are getting ready for a DVD release of the extended cut of
“Dreams”. I hate all the extended/uncut/directors cuts of DVD’s that are released so I
feel like such a hypocrite for releasing this but we had to get it up to 52minutes for
network distribution (The extended cut of Dreams is available now via network
distribution, check your local listings). However I do feel like this is the film that I always
wanted to make and it tells so much more of Terry’s story. We will be releasing further
details over the coming weeks.

I do have a concept for another full-length BMX project. I learned a lot from the process
of making “Dreams” so I will apply all that I’ve learned from that experience into
developing my next project. I do not want to say too much about it right now, at least not
until I get it further developed.



Watch all the new BMX videos everyday here: www.diversiontv.com/bmx.
Join us on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment