Features on Diversion TV

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

BMX Tuesday: Will Stroud Interview

Will Stroud has established himself as a main staple in BMX film making. If you're at all into BMX, most likely you've seen some of his work. If not, check out this latest edit made for Monster Energy's Alex Coleburn. Check out big Will in the interview below....




DTV: How did you get into film making and how long have you been doing it? 

WILL: I first picked up a camera around 1997.  I grew up riding trails here in North Carolina with guys like Chris Doyle, Ryan Barrett and Cory Muth and it seemed like I always got hurt more than those guys back then, so I just picked up a camera when I couldn't ride and would film my friends at the trails. So I've been filming videos for nearly 15 years now which is pretty crazy to think..

DTV: Were there other filmmakers that you looked up to or that inspire you? 

WILL: Oh yeah, I pretty much grew up watching videos like Ride On, Hoffman Headfirst and all the old Props videos.  I really looked up to the old school video guys like Eddie Roman, Chris Rye and Stew Johnson.  It was really cool meeting those guys and getting to know them too.  Those guys and a few others are responsible for some of the best classic BMX videos of all time.


DTV: Out of all your films and web edits what are your top three favorite productions? 

WILL: Well, lately I've been really proud of all the Cinema web edits we've put out this year.  My top 3 favorite Cinema edits are:
1)  Cinema in PHX - http://vimeo.com/19326361
2)  Cinema Sessions with Nathan & Dakota - http://vimeo.com/21048687
3)  Cinema x Etnies Colorado Summer Tour - http://vimeo.com/27788506

DTV: Do you make any films that are non-BMX related? 

WILL: In the past I have made all sorts of random non-BMX related project like wedding videos, documentaries, training videos and short films.  But my passion is making BMX videos and at the moment I have enough work in the BMX video business to get by, which is a dream come true.

DTV: What cameras do you use?

WILL: Nowadays I mostly use my Panasonic HVX-200 with the Century Xtreme Fisheye and a Canon 7d with various prime and zoom lenses.  I still have two old 16mm film cameras that I bought in college that I haven't used in a few years along with my Sony VX-1000 that I bought in 1999.

DTV: Sick, I still have my VX-1000 for back up too! What is 9to5 films? 

WILL: Nine To Five Films is my video business name so I don't have to put my name on my projects.  I'm a one man video production company and that's the way I like it.  Sometimes I bring in people to help with shoots but I handle most all of the directing, producing, filming and editing myself.  I am definitely more of a filmmaker than a businessman so my goal is to keep the company small and work closely with a few companies like the Greenhouse BMX brands (Verde, Cinema &  Duo), Monster Energy, Etnies, Nike 6.0 and a small list of other brands.  I'm also the TM for all the Greenhouse BMX brands so I split my time between the video stuff and TM work.  Truly a dream job and an exciting lifestyle.

DTV: Are there any upcoming projects we should know about? 

WILL: Yeah, for sure.  We just did a collab trip for Cinema with the Fiend team in Tulsa and that edit will be dropping in early December.  That was a really fun and productive trip and the video should be pretty sweet.  We also have a few new Verde edits in the works that I'm excited about.  And on top of all that I'll be producing 15 web edits for Monster Energy between now and next summer so I got a lot of trips coming up. 

Watch new BMX videos daily here: www.diversiontv.com/bmx.
Join us on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment