Features on Diversion TV

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Skate Thursday: Interview with Amrit Jain of Skate Sauce

I met Amrit Jain when he premiered his skate video in Hollywood called "Like Brothers." I was pretty stoked when I saw the video because it featured skaters I ran into all the time at Brooklyn Projects skate shop, but never actually saw skate! The production had a good vibe too.  Since then,  Amrit went on to start his brand, Skate Sauce. I've been seeing his stickers around the neighborhood,  so I decided to see what's been up with Amrit lately.



DTV:  How did you get into filming skating?

AMRIT: I got into filming skating around 2004. My friend Ryan from Seattle lived in L.A. back then and he was a really good skater. I wanted to film him cuz no one else was. One thing led to another and next thing I knew I was working on my first full length skate video called 'Like Brothers'.

DTV: How has filmmaking changed since you made "Like Brothers"?

AMRIT: For one, the camera's have gone from VX1's and 2's to semi-HD, and then to full HD. If your working with HD it's a much longer process to import the footage, convert it, store it, etc.
The way you drop a video is different as well. When I made 'Like Brothers', Youtube was barely starting. I dont think I put my video on Youtube until late 2007. Now you can release a video on Youtube and if you have the right connects/channels to promote it then the whole world can see it. Or at least anyone with internet and youtube. When you have no money and your passion is creating cool videos to inspire people, then Youtube is a great platform. But you don't always reach everyone. I meet a lot of skaters in the streets around the world who rarely go on the internet. They still use a DVD player and only know of videos through word of mouth/Skate Shops.


I def think its important to hit both Youtube & make DVD's. For our 2nd Full length video we are going to produce only 2,000 DVD's. 500 will be for sale, 500 will go to Skate Sauce Family & Friends around the world, and I am going to send 10 DVDs to a skate shop that supports Skate Sauce in as many cities as I can with the other 1,000. After a month or 2 of the video being out in the streets around the world, then we will start to drop it on our website part by part until the entire video is online. Hopefully that will create the buzz we need in the streets, as well as on the web, without having to spend too much on marketing the video.

DTV: What is Skate Sauce and what is it about?

AMRIT: Skate Sauce is a brand I started at the end of 2008. As an independent filmaker it is hard to get your videos out there with just your name. I knew I needed a company/brand name that I could attach with my videos to help people remember our crew. Skate Sauce was the perfect name. I always wanted to have a company where I could sponsor all my friends without having conflicts (other clothing companies, skateboard companies). We use Sauce when food is dry, I figured it would work with a dry ledge/rail. It needs that Sauce, skateboard wax. There arent any wax companies I know of, so I knew I could sponsor all my friends with no problems.


We have a huge Family of friends around the world. Some are Legendary pro skateboarders, some are Local Legends. I want to be able to grow Skate Sauce into something that can take care of all of us. If we could get it so that we can afford to tour around the world and make videos and live, that would be awesome. That is our goal...anything after that is bonus.

DTV: It seems like you roll deep with the Sk8 Mafia crew. Talk about that affiliation?

AMRIT: Yea, for the record, its SK8MAFIA. haha.

DTV: Oh my bad, SK8MAFIA.

AMRIT: No worries, even the big skate mags get it wrong. But yeah SK8MAFIA and I go way back. I met the owners Dan Connelly, Peter Smolik, and Preebz around 2004. Back then SK8MAFIA had just started. They made a couple boards and tee's, strictly for the homies. I remember going down to San Diego to visit the crew. Dan showed me footage of Kellen James, Larelly Gray, Tyler Surrey, & Wes Kremer when no one knew who they were. I think Tyler and Wes were like 15. I was tripping on how good they were. They all had mad style and crazy tricks! It's been dope to see them grow into the Brand & Family they are today. SK8MAFIA4LIFE!



DTV: Of the films that you have made what is your favorite top 3 productions?


AMRIT: Top 3 Productions I have made? I would have to say #1 is the new full length Skate Sauce video called "Hard Times but Good Times" which we are about to premiere in LA next month. We have been working on it for 4-5 years now...since 'Like Brothers'. It features one of my favorite skaters I grew up watching - Tom Penny. It also features a new Pro who I got to film as he grew into the amazing skater he is now - Vincent Alvarez. Its not the craziest new tricks or death defying tricks...just a dope skate video with good music, solid skating, street, and will def make you jump out your seat and want to go skate!


 
 Check out the premiere of "Hard Times, but Good Times"  in Hollywood.


#2 is a video I made while Testing out the Canon 7D. Its 3 parts and I cut it to a dope Jay Electronica track. You can see that video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IieFVKiJ95M

The #3 Production would have to be the first and only music video I have made. Hip Hop x Skateboarding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOEGCIO5nm4 we shot it last minute while I was in NYC, but I really like how it came out.



Watch new skate videos daily here: www.diversiontv.com/skate.
Join us on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment